Two weeks ago MapMyTour was accepted and made available for download from the App Store. Since then:
- the app has been downloaded 582 times; and
- the website expanded to 216 users, 170 tracks, and 743 waypoints!
I’m happy with this first release and user acceptance, which has motivated me to start working on v1.1 of the app. The next version is close to completion and will add the following features and bug fixes:
- Maps can be flagged as “Private”, which determines whether a map will list on the homepage and in the RSS feeds;
- Various minor UI changes, most notably the “About” tab;
- Additional weather icons for the evening hours; and
- A reworking of the timezone retrieval code, which is a part of every waypoint. With v1.0 I determined the timezone by submitting the latitude and longitude to an online service. Unfortunately, the service isn’t consistent with Daylight Saving Time, which has caused some waypoints (most in North America) to be off by an hour. With v1.1, the timezone will be fetched from the user’s iPhone settings. It is therefore important for users to have the correct time and timezone set in their iPhone.
I’m thinking ahead to v1.2 and other features I’d like to add. Photo support is definitely an idea, but I’d like to hear from you if you have other suggestions or comments.